Monday, July 30, 2007

One Spiritual Size Does Not Fit All

I want to better distinguish between the voice(s) of my personality self (or ego or whatever you call it) and those from my core Self (that I call my soul). Then I'll be able to note, observe and unhook personality desires when they arise, rather than letting them rule me. By living more out of my soul - which is a lovely, dancing-joy light - I can use my personality traits to do my work in the world... but my work will be more effective, and apt to increase love and understanding rather adding noise, aggravation and confusion.

I've been impressed by the changes a good friend made in this regard after a year-long, intuitive guidance seminar at a local, spiritual training center. If I can find the money, I want to go through the same program. This last weekend, I went to a workshop which was the precursor.

Like the history of the center's founder and main teacher, the workshop techniques were a little idiosyncratic, but I found them very effective. And it struck me once again: we're all trying to get to the same place, using very similar spiritual practices. Our spiritual aspirations and practices only appear different because of varying religious trappings and terminology.

This was really obvious soon after I left the monastery when I went to Al Anon. The meeting I started with read through each step and each tradition in order... then started over - sort of like how we read the Rule in monastic "chapter." (For those who don't know, Al Anon is for anyone with an alcoholic family member or friend, and uses the AA 12 steps.)

I kept crying at first because the similarities with Benedictine monasticism were so immediate. All the important pieces were there, except cut up and rearranged. It was like Bob S. and Bill W., the Big Book authors, had channeled Evagrius and other early desert hermits, as well as Benedict.

I thought, "My monastic community refused to help me get where I need to go, but I could find the exact same help in Al Anon, and they aren't going to kick me out."

12 step programs talk about "serenity," Benedictines about "humility," Evagrius about "apatheia" (dispassion), and Buddhists about "vulnerable heart." But these all seem to be the same state of open-hearted awareness - with a total absence of looking down on others or yourself - a state which naturally leads to upwelling compassion and happiness.

It doesn't really matter which one of these programs you or I follow. Whatever approach resonates with you and works for you is best... for you. Because it's not about finding the one correct belief, but about working out our issues... and receiving the gift of divine at-one-ment that follows. Whatever the shape of door that most easily takes me or you or her or him there is good.

One size does not fit all. So aren't we lucky that there are so many sizes available.

4 comments:

  1. Elena,

    Thanks for your comments on my blog - thought I'd return the favor here. I've enjoyed reading several of your posts so far and hope to get through more.

    About diverse paths to the same truth - I couldn't agree more. I believe the Hindu saying is "Truth is one, but the sages call it by many names". Likewise the Buddhist approach - teachings are merely "fingers pointing at the moon", and not the moon itself.

    Why can't most self-defined Christians get past this? It's not only the Christians - there's plenty of exclusivity in most religions - but you and I apparently are most familiar with the Christian variety. As for ecumenism, it's a interesting irony that the most strident truth-claims seem to come out at the most hypocritical moments, such as the recent Catholic Church pronouncements. For my take on that, see http://danbrowning.blogspot.com/2007/07/id-hate-to-see-false-churches.html (sorry I don't have a better grasp on html imbedding).

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you for your comment here.

    It's funny. When I first started imagining myself as Christian, I wanted to run screaming from the room - because of the poisonously negative ideas so many "Christians" espouse. Of course, as you say, this is hardly limited to Christianity. "Orthodoxy" - of whatever religion - is exclusionary by definition, insisting that theirs is not only the one true faith, but that theirs is the one true version of the one true faith.

    But to this outside, interfaith observer, all the arguments for any particular orthodoxy boil down to the same unconvincing statement: "We know ours is the one truth because it is ours." sigh.

    Yet I have many Christian friends - some Catholic, some of other denominations - who are as liberal, open-minded, and interfaith embracing as I am. Like, say, Mathew Fox, they don't make any exclusionary truth claims.

    So there is yet hope for the expansion of Christianity.

    The Catholics (mostly women) are way more sad and angry over the pope wrapping himself in exclusionary superiority than you or I. After all, they are the ones whose faith is being betrayed.

    Cheers Elena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:29 PM

    Hi Elena,
    I went through a similiar experience while inquiring into monastic life. The Catholic communities I encountered I think found me "too different"...meaning
    I am a seeker so I question a lot.
    They wanted someone who would jump
    through the hoop without asking why?
    As for Alanon, I am happy for you that this process is helping you. For me any group process can enhance or damage the human spirit.
    If a group..any group (Alanon too)allows one or more individuals to invert the process from being horizontal to vertical than you have a "power" issue going on. If a group is healthy it will allow questioning and it will keep the group horizontal and not hold any one person above another. A great
    teacher is one who is willing to journey along WITH me as an equal spiritual companion. I believe that applies to a good sponsor too.

    Peace,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:39 PM

    I apologize ..hard on the eyes. I meant to type similar.

    ReplyDelete