Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fallen Woman

I'm falling down a deep chasm, grabbing desperately at branches, only to have my hand slide down, stripping the leaves off, and go on falling. There's the constant niggling of home repair when I have little energy and no money, the anxiety of poorly-paid, part-time employment, the suffering of chronic pain with no access to health care, and the struggle to give good care to my uncle.

"Why not just fall free?" my friend asked.

What a relief. Desperation and the mad scrabble to hang on is so exhausting. How much sweeter just to let go and fall.

Yet I am poor, aging, in bad health, and overwhelmed by unfamiliar responsibility. My choices led to this life, one that society judges as failure. So I feel shame as well as fear for my future .

Spiritual teachers say to live in the present. Can't say I've managed that when I was often swamped by regret and what-ifs. But I've lived as if I had no fear for the future - abandoning social and financial security when I felt called (by my creative muse or by God - feel free to choose the label you prefer). Not that I didn't notice the fear, but I set it aside pretty easily as unimportant. Until recently, I had no dependents - which allowed me the freedom to do so.

"Maybe it was never so easy to make fearless choices," my friend said, "but you weren't present enough to feel your fear until now."

This is likely. So is my present work to be fearless while truly feeling the fear? Not distracting from, suppressing or denying fear, but feeling how strong it is, acknowledging it, and then setting it aside as a bad guide?

Every morning I practice being grateful before I get out of bed. I have never lacked for any necessity. I lack for nothing now. If anything, I have too much. Okay, I have physical and emotional toil, but those struggles aren't the problem. It is fear and shame that fill my inner space with grinding tension as if I chewed on greasy metal filings.

My choices led to a life that society judges as failure and left me open to certain material challenges. That doesn't mean the choices were wrong. Not if what matters is doing my divine work in the world.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have anything more helpful to offer than, "I hear that." Sometimes we wish we could've taken easier paths, but if we could've, we would've. If it seems especially hard now, remember that what's now will change. I hear that around 70, people tend to enjoy life more than they did in their 50s. I remind myself of that when life seems full of suck. The things around me may not change, but I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You are right. If I *could* have taken an easier path, I would have. You are also right that the things around us can stay the same, but we can change. That is my... commitment, I guess you'd call it. To open up enough that I can name the hardship, but not angst over it. The pain is simply there. But it is the agonizing over it and resisting it that causes the most suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But it is the agonizing over it and resisting it that causes the most suffering."

    I have a friend who is dealing with cancer--not expected to be fatal, thank God--who said something much like that recently. It's hard wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, and wisdom that can only be learned hard. No one *chooses* to gain difficult wisdom - which is why I am grateful for being forced on the dark journey, but wouldn't wish it on an enemy.

    ReplyDelete